Apple Oatmeal Whoopie Pies with Peanut Butter Frosting
These whoopie pies are made with a creamy, sweet and salty peanut butter frosting sandwiched between two soft and chewy apple oatmeal cookies. They are healthy, hearty and they pair the perfect flavor combination of apples and peanut butter.
Makes 12 whoopie pies
Chef Tip: The cookies are best enjoyed the day of. Due to the natural juices from the apples, the cookies tend to get moist the day after.
Variety Tip: *Use your favourite local baking apple
|1 1/2 cups||whole wheat pastry flour||(165g)|
|2 cups||quick oats||(180g)|
|1 tsp||baking soda||(5g)|
|2 tsp||ground cinnamon||(5g)|
|4 tbsp||melted butter||(60ml)|
|1/2 cup||lightly packed brown sugar||(100g)|
|1/2 cup||maple syrup (or honey)||(125ml)|
|2 tsp||vanilla extract||(10ml)|
|1 1/2 cups||Ontario apples*, diced small (about 1 large apple)||(175g)|
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, toss together the quick oats, flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the wet into the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined. Fold in the diced apples.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or tablespoons, drop rounded cookie batter about 2" apart onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Let cookies cool completely before filling.
To make the filling:
- Using an electric mixer, combine the peanut butter and powdered sugar. Add the milk or cream, 1 tablespoon at a time until you have a spreadable consistency.
Recipe developed for Ontario Apple Growers by Little Sweet Baker