Five Easy Ways to Love Apples at Every Meal
December 05, 2017
Written by: Zannat Reza, Registered Dietitian
We all know that apples are a fast, grab ‘n go snack but they can also be enjoyed throughout the day. Get inspired with these apple-licious ideas:
Packed with 4 grams of fibre in each apple, it makes sense to start your day with this fantastic fruit. Fibre helps keep you “regular” and curbs your hunger.
- Cereal topper – Whether it’s warm oatmeal, or your favourite whole grain cereal out of a box, chopped apples are the perfect way to perk up your morning.
- Pancakes – Show your pancakes some apple love. Fold grated apple into your batter or make this baked version ahead of time and heat it up when you’re ready to eat.
- Toast topper – Smear whole grain toast with your favourite nut butter, and top with crunchy slices of apple.
- Yogurt parfaits – Layer diced apples with plain yogurt and nuts. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon.
- In a smoothie – The next time you whip up a smoothie, add an apple to your favourite combo. Easy!
Apples can help you stay hydrated throughout the afternoon. That’s because, over 80% of an apple is actually water. The benefit? Better concentration!
- Sandwich game changer – Tuck thin slices of apple in your next sandwich to bump up the juicy factor.
- Green salad - Slice your favourite apple into a green salad or slaw, like this apple and spinach salad.
- Hearty salad - Toss together a barley or quinoa salad with chickpeas, apples and red peppers.
- Hummus platter – Serve up apple slices alongside raw veggies for dipping into hummus.
- Easy bento box – Pull together a quick lunch with whole grain pita, cheese cubes, bite-sized vegetables and a crunchy apple.
Apples bump up the antioxidant power in your dinner, which are key to living healthier and longer.
- Stir fry – Adding apples to a stir fry? That’s genius!
- Soups and stews – Enjoy a piping hot apple and squash soup or a beer braised apple and pork stew with root vegetables.
- Easy quesadilla – Pair up tangy apple salsa on your next quesadilla adventure.
- Pizza topping – Add thinly-sliced apples on your favourite pizza. Or if you’re looking for something a little more elevated, try this caramelized onion recipe.
- Mac ‘n cheese – Up your pasta game with this hearty mac ‘n cheese version.
More from Zannat at http://www.thrive360.buzz/