Mission and vision
To foster a viable apple industry through advocacy with government and collaboration with industry partners for the health of consumers and the wealth of producers.
Ontario Apples...a healthy consumer...a healthy industry.
Mandate of the OAG
The OAG will represent the interests of Ontario apple producers at all levels. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Work in conjunction with other farm organizations to provide input into federal and provincial farm programs.
- Provide input to Agricorp on the Apple Production Insurance Plan.
- Facilitate the registration of crop protection materials for apples.
- Advocate that government regulations and legislation do not negatively impact apple producers
- Work on trade issues (e.g. Canadian anti-dump duties on fresh apples and apple juice concentrate, ministerial exemptions, product labeling, export trade requirements, barriers and irritants, etc.)
- Advocate for improved production and market information including, crop estimation, storage holdings and market pricing.
- Assist with the development of recommendations for Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food (OMAF) Publication 360 – Fruit Production Recommendations
The OAG mandate is to keep all grower members informed on issues affecting the apple industry through:
- Grower meetings and tours
Growers will be provided with the following information:
- Production, price and marketing (e.g. wholesale prices for local and imported apples on an annual basis, Canadian and international crop estimates, etc.)
- Orchard juice apple pricing
- Technology transfer
- Analysis of Canadian and international apple industry trends
- Development of Integrated Pest Management and Integrated Fruit Production standards and related information
Research and development
The organization’s goal is to maintain and improve the competitiveness of Ontario apple growers. To do this, the organization seeks to:
- Establish research priorities
- Provide seed money for apple-related research projects
- Attract grant funding for research
Another goal of the organization is to increase consumption of Ontario apples by sharing with consumers the versatility and availability of Ontario apples and the health benefits from eating them.
Negotiate the price for orchard juice apples
- Negotiate a minimum price for orchard juice apples at harvest time (not apples off the grading lines).
- Meet with the Juice Apple Advisory Committee on issues relating to juice apples.
- Meet with the Juice Apple Negotiating Committee to negotiate the juice apple price.
- Publishing and enforce the “Juice Apple Price”.