Apple & Sausage Shepherds Pie
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Chef Tip: Tip: If you don’t want to use sausage in this recipe, replace sausage with the following: 1 lb ground pork spiced with 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, thyme and onion powder, 1/4 tsp cumin, nutmeg and sage. Tip: Freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. To cook from frozen, bake at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour, or until heated through.
Variety Tip: *For best results use local Ambrosia, Gala, Empire or McIntosh apples
|1 tbsp||vegetable oil||(15 mL)|
|1 lb||Oktoberfest sausage||(500 g)|
|2||apples, cored and diced*|
|1||large onion, sliced|
|1 tbsp||cornstarch||(15 mL)|
|1/2 tsp||each salt and pepper||(2 mL)|
|1 cup||water||(250 mL)|
|3 cups||prepared mashed potatoes||(750 mL)|
|1 tbsp||melted butter, divided||(15 mL)|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (200°C).
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir sausage until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Set cooked sausage aside for later use.
3. In the same pan, use the sausage drippings to cook apples and onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk cornstarch, salt and pepper into water and pour over the apples. Cook until a thick gravy has formed, about 2 minutes. Add sausage back to the pan and take off the heat. Lightly stir sausage, apple, and onion together.
4. Spread mashed potatoes over the top with a spoon, creating peaks. Lightly brush mashed potatoes with 1 tbsp melted butter.
5. Bake in the preheated oven until the potatoes are lightly browned and the sausage mixture is bubbling, about 15 minutes.