Apple Probiotic Bowl
This apple and squash dish incorporates foods with tons of good-for-your-gut fibre, while also creating a balanced bowl of deliciousness through several other health-conscious add-ins.
Makes 2 servings
Chef Tip: You could also enjoy julienned or finely diced apple on top, much like a salsa, instead of making apple chips.
Variety Tip: *any sweet local variety can be used in this recipe
|2||local apples*, baked or dehydrated into apple chips OR julienned|
|1 cup||wild rice, cooked according to the package|
|1||acorn squash, seeded and sliced 3/4 inch thick rings|
|1 tbsp||vegetable oil|
|1 tbsp||brown sugar (optional)|
|1||avocado, thinly sliced|
|1/2 cup||raw sauerkraut|
|1 tbsp||Dijon mustard|
|1 tsp||maple syrup|
|1 tbsp||apple cider vinegar|
|1 tsp||olive oil|
|a pinch of salt to taste|
- Make baked apple chips , but sprinkle cinnamon on top before baking (you can make this the night before)
- Cook wild rice according to the package (my rice required 1 cup of rice to 1 3/4 cups water)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Lightly toss acorn squash with vegetable oil and spread onto a lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top if you want it extra sweet and caramelized (optional). Bake for 30 minutes until caramelized and fork tender.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
Recipe developed for Ontario Apple Growers by The Viet Vegan