Artisan Toffee Apple Pie Cookies
This recipe from Terri Gilson was one of the winner's of the Apple Recipe Competition at the Canadian Baking and Sweets Show.
|3/4 cup||packed light brown sugar||180mL|
|Â¼ cup||white granulated sugar||60mL|
|3 tbsp||unsalted butter||45mL|
|1||Ontario Empire Apple (about 1 cup) finely diced|
|3 Â½ cups||all-purpose flour||840mL|
|1 tsp||baking powder||5mL|
|1/2 cup||apple sauce||120mL|
|8 ounces||cream cheese, softened|
|1 tsp||lemon juice||5mL|
|1/3 cup||whipped cream||80mL|
|2/3 cup||toffee bits||160mL|
|Â¾ cup||finely chopped pecans||180mL|
|Fresh Lemon glaze|
|2 cups||powdered/icing sugar||480mL|
|2 tbsp||freshly squeezed lemon juice||30mL|
|2 tbsp||fresh lemon zest||30mL|
1) Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray cookie sheets with non -stick cooking spray.
2) Mix cinnamon, ¼ cup of the brown sugar and white granulated sugar together. Set aside.
3) Cook apples in butter in microwave on high for 1 minute. Combine with sugar and cinnamon mixture until coated.
4) Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
5) With electric mixer, beat cream cheese and remaining ½ cup brown sugar together until smooth, then add apple sauce, 1 tsp lemon juice, vanilla and whipped cream and milk. Beat for 30 seconds longer. Add egg and mix until incorporated.
6) Gradually add half the flour mixture, then fold in chopped pecans, toffee bits and apple/sugar mixture. Add the remaining flour mixture and stir until incorporated.
7) Drop dough onto prepared pans with cookie scoop (about 1 Tbsp. sized).
8) Bake in prepared oven for 20 minutes, or until bottoms are browned (these cookies will not brown on top like typical cookies). Cool on pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooking rack and let cool for another 5 minutes.
9) Glaze: Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice together. Glaze should be thick, yet pourable. (Add more or less sugar or lemon juice to achieve desired consistency).
10) Once cookies are cooled, drizzle glaze over cookies using a spoon (or put glaze in a ziplock bag and snip off a small corner then drizzle.)
11) Garnish: Sprinkle lemon zest over cookies, dividing evenly between all cookies. Enjoy!print