Roasted Apple and Potato Hash
A delicious sweet and savoury spin on a classic hash, all done on one pan in the oven. This works as a side dish for breakfast, brunch and even dinner. The unexpected subtle sweetness of the Ontario Honeycrisp mingles perfectly with the smoky bacon and hearty potato mixture. To make it a complete meal consider adding either a fried egg to the top or some crunchy chicken fingers.
Chef Tip: Recipe developed by Andrea Buckett
Variety Tip: Any Ontario apple variety will work for this recipe, including Ontario Ambrosia and Gala
|4||Yukon gold potatoes, diced||(680g)|
|2||Sweet potatoes peeled and diced||(680g)|
|2||Ontario Honeycrisp apples, peeled and diced||(380g)|
|2||green onions, thinly sliced|
|1||cooking onion, diced|
|4 slices||thick cut bacon, cut into ½” strips||(140g)|
|3 tbsp||Canola oil|
|1 ½ tsp||smoked paprika|
|1 ½ tsp||onion powder|
|1 tsp||dried thyme leaves|
Preheat the oven to 375F
- Add the potatoes, Ontario Honeycrisp apples, onion, bacon and canola oil to a large bowl and toss until everything is evenly coated with the oil.
- Mix together the thyme, smoked paprika, onion powder and salt.
- Sprinkle half the spice mixture over the potato and apple mixture and toss to combine. Add the remaining spice mixture and toss one more time.
- Pour the potato and apple mixture onto one large sheet pan (17x11) or two smaller ones. Place it in the oven on the middle rack.
- Roast for 50-60 min, stirring every 20 min or so. Cook until tender and slightly golden brown.
- Garnish with green onions and serve.